Vintage MC S&S Advice

So I am interest in a MC S&S. The ad states it’s great boat except it only runs to 3100 RPM.

@joel knows this but I’ll be transparent for honesty sake…I know nothing about mechanical anything!!! Is this a serious problem that could end up costing me thousands of dollars??

I only have interest just because I like the look and the vintage aspect of the boat. My primary is 2019 SN.

Seller reports compression test was good. Any thoughts is appreciated.

I split this off into its own thread. Bruce, what year? Could be as simple as the mechanical advance in the distributor is broken, frozen, stuck. That’s the first place I’d look as long as compression is good. Additionally if it hasn’t been done already this would be a good time to switch to electronic ignition (vs. a points system) which is a really quick drop-in change.

Additionally keep in mind mid-1983 was the switch to all fiberglass (no wood in the hull to rot).

Best place to ask would be at https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/ but saying that a V8 is a V8 and the same basics apply. If compression is ok, it’s getting spark at the right time and fuel/air mix roughly right it should rev more than that. Like Joel I’m guessing electrics. Not expensive to fix and actually quite cheap to fully replace. Hopefully timing is just a bit retarded. Advance it to correct settings and it’d be happier. If it was too advanced it’d have caused some physical damage so $ might go up. Does it start ok? Idle nicely? Rev ok in neutral? Spool up ok to the 3100rpm? Easy stuff for any old school mechanic to check, don’t even need to be a boat guy as they’re basic V8s so bascially all the same from 1950s to late 80s before injection, alloy etc became common.
Silly thought; perhaps someone has put a wrong prop on it causing the overloading?

1 Like

Thanks @joel for putting this in its own thread. I am not tech savvy either so appreciate it. The boat is 1983. Odd thing is, I’ve contacted the seller via email about more info/pics and he has yet to get back to me. My interest wanes when I don’t get communication from a seller. I did look to the MC forum network. Saw everything from spun prop, vacuum leak, fuel line getting air in it, etc. the primary solution was what is mentioned here, get rid of carb and go electronic.
Thanks for advice though. I am still holding out the seller will communicate.
I did get a chance to ski behind a 1987 MC rainbow edition yesterday. Beautiful day in SW ohio. the boat was awesome. Sounds great. It’s incredible that it has NO wake behind it. Unfortunately the tracking is not good. This would require some practice. Good news it was only free skiing in that I pulled my course in Oct.
Thanks again for advice. I’ll keep you all informed. [quote=“Papawskier, post:1, topic:80, full:true”]
So I am interest in a MC S&S. The ad states it’s great boat except it only runs to 3100 RPM.

@joel knows this but I’ll be transparent for honesty sake…I know nothing about mechanical anything!!! Is this a serious problem that could end up costing me thousands of dollars??

I only have interest just because I like the look and the vintage aspect of the boat. My primary is 2019 SN.

Seller reports compression test was good. Any thoughts is appreciated.
[/quote]

I had a beautiful 83 S&S as our “cabin” boat for a few years. I loved the looks of it but the ergonomics and performance got tiresome. Sold it for more than I paid for it. Everything in the interior is about 7/8th size of a more modern boat. The steering wheel is between your knees, you’re looking totally over the windshield, the spotter’s entire head is above the windshield, the spotter seat back is about 12" tall, etc. The boat is TINY.

The tracking is akin to driving a bar of soap with a prop on it and the chine spray is hilariously bad.

For the era, the wake is good, no doubt about that, but at the end of the day the novelty wore off pretty quickly and it’s just an old boat with ergonomics for an UmpaLoompa.

Bruce if that was a rainbow graphic boat it was an 86. The 86 had a hull modification (a big dish out of the hull above the prop) that made for a particularly good wake, that makes the 86 more desireable. 87-90 would be the same hull but with the Star-Wars-Style fighter jet windshield.

1 Like

@joel, yes all you said was true, even about the rainbow version i skied yesterday. Incredibly small, no inside storage for skis, etc. dash, windshield, steering wheel, all true. I would have this boat for fun sake. HOWEVER, knowing i am not an engine, wrencher type person, I am loosing some interest. Yesterday as we are putting the boat in, had a very difficult time getting it too start. After some maneuvering on the engine by the owner, who is an engine, mechanical type guy, it fired up. I would be unable to do that. So I did put that experience in my brain cabinet. It’s a neat idea, but all your points are valid. This is why I have learned not to do the spontaneous purchase based on emotions. Prolly should have had this ability to discern things prior to getting married…JUST KIDDING.
Thanks for your input. Appreciate words of wisdom/voice of reason, etc.

Here’s ours, this is from a while back.

1 Like

omg @joel, i love that boat. the sound is amazing. just a great vintage boat to do exactly what you were doing. thanks for the video

Hard to start too? Sounding more and more like spark and/or fuel/air is incorrect. Most likely poor spark. Replace the mechanical distributor with a quality electronic distributor. A few hundred dollars and minutes to swap.
No need to get rid of the carb. Get it refurbished/rekitted by a decent V8/ hot rod mechanic.

1 Like

Yes that seems to be the consensus, get rid of carb, go electronic. The sad news is, I am over it. I am not a wrencher so the mechanical upkeep would more than likely deter or diminish the return on investment/fun. If I still had houses at Norris Lake TN, then maybe for that lake but for this lake in Ohio, the SN is more than adequate.
Thanks for all the advice and opinions.