My second ever shot at 35 off

Well, a fair 1 anyway. What do you see here?

I know this is months late but what I think you’ve got going on here is just the difference between 32 and 35 in terms of the gate you lost some of your outbound travel and dropped back before your turn in so that you basically were approaching the pass with the same direction/timing as you had at 32 and are getting even more sag in the line before your turn in because you’re getting pulled in a bit more to the boat on the 35 line so at 35 but also at 32 the direction in the glide needs a tweak - the GUT denali gait video would be good to review as the days slowly get longer.

1 Like

What’s being demonstrated in those 2 screen grabs is essentially at the point where the rope is crossing that corner on the seadek of your boat where your body is in position in the 35 off you increased aggression but your timing is about the same.

@half_past thank you! Can’t wait to get back into this in 21.

You should send some of your videos to either Joel Howley or Terry Winter for some video coaching to have some real feedback going into the fresh season.

So interestingly I did send a video over to Joel Howley last year. His big thing was that I did not transition with two hands on the handle. My arms kinda come away and I transition kinda as I start turning and releasing anyway. He suggested running two handed passes at least through 22 off but I could not keep up with that. I got 15/34 two handed and gave it up shortly thereafter. Maybe should have stuck with it but I didn’t have the discipline.

As is always the case the feedback is usually telling. 2 handed passes do a few things one of them is simply keeping pressure on your outbound hand/arm longer.

Which is similar in that on your 35 if you were to carry pressure in your left hand at that gate glide you’d carry out more. I’ve been using the Denali suggestion and simply thinking about left ski rail pressure through my glide.

I have watched the GUT gate vid. There are some really good attributes on this vid. The overall theme is timing , rhythm and allowing boat and ski to do the work and you just ride the ski. As I watch the vid I found myself saying out loud “yes I need to do that “.

However I watch “them “ in real time on other vids and I don’t see some of the technical attributes taught. Of course this pertains to all of us when it comes to coaching from the boat. I say it, suggests it but don’t do it.

FOR ME AT 35: Less is more.
Never disconnect from power source.
Handle control.

One other thought at 35 and shorter. The swing and releasing the ski at or soon after the second wake is huge.

@joel, So i just watched the video of your pass again. 2 things that really catch my eye and these things I observe are talked about in the referenced GUT video:

In your glide, as you start to turn in, you let your arms go away from your body and the reach is out front of you and slightly above the belly button level. If you stop the vid there, please note the slack rope you are attempting to turn in on.

Next: off the second wake, i think about .04 or .05 into the vid your arms are pulled away from your body and you are giving the handle and rope back to the boat, again please stop video and look at the attitude of the rope, slack. Hence the disconnect at the buoy and coming back to the handle. This is again referenced in the GUT vid.

Ironically, later in the vid when you pull out and drop in again, this sequence is much better. The hands and arms don’t leave your body as much, the handle is low and your lean away is gradual and building. This results in good carry out of the ski off second wake and the rope is connected to you as you turn and come back to handle. (You break at the waist but this is your offside turn at 35). That will come with experience at 35.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0w0t46jxdtmE1iUkiID3s26QA This is video from last spring.

Your handle is consistently way lower throughout, huge difference there for sure!

I’m going to translate “lower handle” to a key I’m working on which is “Lean vs. Pull” which also keys into “Less is more”.

See:
Pull = Bent arms and high handle
Lean = Relaxed arms and low handle